What You Must Know About Routine Pool Maintenance
The best way to maintain your pool is to do regular checks on it, note any problems, and handle them as soon as possible.
While many people hire a pool company to oversee general maintenance of the pool, you can keep an eye on things yourself if you know what to look for. Key areas to check are:
|Around the patio and building areas||
|For indoor pools||
|For the pump, filters and chemicals||
- Keep the area clear of debris using surface skimmers leaf nets and hand help skimmers. Prune back any plants growing nearby or overhead.
- Check the skimmer baskets and strainer basket every week.
- Wash down the patio with a garden hose and a non-abrasive cleaner designed for the pool area. Household cleansers tend to foam and can affect the pool chemistry.
- Check the chemical levels in the pool on a regular basis. If your pool is a busy place or you keep the water very warm, you may need to shock the water weekly.
- Watch for algae build up. These can appear as yellow, green or black blotches and they should be scrubbed away asap, or apply an algaecide.